4/30/12

The Past Presents the Future


An old head approached us and asked us a question that was so random but contained so much sincerity that I had to stop and answer the mental plea
 “Are you still a slave?”
And as the question sunk into my soul, in and out every crevice of being as I thought of the person that I am today…I responded
I said the masters of my ancestors won’t reenact the past and attack us.
You weren’t expecting that answer, but for me to overreact to
A question out of evidence as the relevance doesn’t attract us.
You see, the future is flying as we are eyeing the sky because it outlasts us.

Education for most is a winged zebra that has flown past us.
The future is a mystery probably filled with misery
As memories of today fade into the dark abyss of history.
No noose I choose to place around my heart. Our lives are taken in stride.
Any man can kill, but it is suicide by letting him break your pride.
For you to close your eyes for eleven months and then blame what happened in the past 364 days
On what happens is disrespectful to your future, my present, and their past
And don’t act like you don’t.

I won’t hold my words.
I will spark revolution in this institution and reroute the dreams that are being deferred
By lack of education, this added absence of a drive to gain knowledge,
And the increasing number of black men quitting after their first semester of college
Not merely because of money, but because some do remain stagnant in their beliefs
You can blame the white man, but you need to take accountability for yourself.
Stop holding out your hands for help, and start helping yourself.
Place ignorance high on these shelves and let the dust collect
While I correct your direction and redirect your respect.

The old man shot back at me and stated the essence
Of why he asked that question not expecting us to have learned the correct lessons.
He said I embody the past and he will present the future
And If I’m willing to convey this openly, I’m giving a blessing
To the millions of stories currently being created and based
On currency, ghetto militaries, and bass.
Where we have given up our whips and chains for…..whips….and chains..
I said the truth is that the ruthlessness of the souls
Don’t pay attention to the detail as we retell their woes.
Their mindstate of what their mind states are constantly adding us
To percentages and as I write these words, they don’t realize they are the main characters.
But, if you believe there is a chance, I’ll provide the pages to the book
And hope they release the stereotypes and take a look.

0 comments:

Post a Comment