5/26/10

Is the Dream Still Deferred?

Langston Hughes pondered: what happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up like a raisin in the sun?
Some say that dreams are for nerds
But they are people whose dreams haven't been heard
Whose dreams have only been deterred by the pressures of pleasing others
Whose dreams haven't been seen which allowed them to let it fester like a sore
But, if I want to dream, then let me set a adrift in my dream
Let me be

I am trying to even the score

Do something with myself and try to form a rapport with some of those who come after me and even before
As I try and utilize my versatility that my relatives have instilled upon me
I drift off to my dreams to see my grandfather's silhouette in the forefront
It hasnt even been a year since
My grandfather passed and for a while I was depressed
Because I have been blessed to obtain his gift of putting words together in such a way that it can cause harmony in a world filled of discords
So when he left....I lost it..
But I had to bounce back and release the pressure
I grabbed my poetry book off the dresser and began scribing my thoughts because I didn't want to see my aspiration fester
If the world doesn't take my gift for what it is I will go down as a fighting man, picking myself up by the bootstraps refusing to surrender

Dr. King once said a mind is a terrible thing to waste

Like this dream it's mine and I refuse to let his words become the dichotomy of my being
Dr. King helped catalyze a movement when some racists from the south tried to paralyze it
Jesse said "I want freedom. Please don't stop me. I may be young, but I am somebody. I
I may be young but i'm in it for the struggle, the hunger, the people
We're eradicating hunger, and failure, and evil
No there's no disguising what my eyes have seen
I've seen fiends lose weight and southern racists lose hate
Nothing good ever happens when we lose faith

Staring through my brown eyes

One can see that at the pinnacle of my dream, success is the prize
However we are in a society in which success is JUST characterized by how fat your wallet is, and NOT the steps you took to get there
This money and this fame is abducting our soul
Cars, Clothes, and Women are now the main goal, as their true dreams now sag like a heavy load
We still got our eyes on the gold, but it's so hard to keep our lives in control because we swapped our whips and chains....for whips...and chains, in order to retain some self efficacy.
Avarice thoughts often come to mind, but I don't want to resort to conforming like everyone else just to get ahead
Mark what I said, I seen both sides, the other side is just as bad
If I told you I was a saint, then I would be dreaming
But realize that all that is glittery isn't gold just because it's gleaming

Some may hate at the way I am determining my fate, but why?

The people who are making this world worse do not take a day off, why should I?
So I remain kind, even though this dog-eat-dog world continues to be heartless
Because one small lamp can still illuminate worlds of darkness

0 comments:

Post a Comment