4/15/11

Humble Beginnings

Contrary to what you may see and believe…I come from humble beginnings
My life hasn’t always been flowers growing and birds singing
But more of a trying upbringing, filled with tears and broken promises
“Whats humble?”
I will gladly tell you
Humble
Is growing up in a house with 3 people, and having only enough money to make one meal a week and make it last… praying that the cornbread rises because we couldn’t afford eggs to put in the recipe…because that was what was left until the WIC check came in
Humble
Is being taken away from my parents, and placed into custody of someone who made my life a living hell
Humble
Is wearing hand me down clothing that was a couple sizes too small, because your foster mother spends your check elsewhere.
Humble
Is choosing the option of selling drugs to put money in my pocket so that I can provide for my little brother because that was the ONLY way you was gonna get money.
Humble
Was being able to muscle a smile through the pain, while holding false hope as we thought this situation would never cease
Humble
Is crying myself to sleep hoping that each day would get better
Humble
Was getting through it alone, just me and God
No one to talk to…
No one to confide in…
No one to trust…
Because everyone thought I was crazy because she was a “nice lady”
Humble
Is being able to swallow the bullshit and take the punches as they were given.
I look at my life now…
And I think of where I came from
And while I can proclaim how blessed I am, I can lose everything in a heartbeat
So I take life one day at a time, while constantly thinking of my humble beginnings.

0 comments:

Post a Comment