1/20/15

Family Reunion

Family reunion
Family reunion
Family reu...
Family ru..
Family ruined

With family like mine I'd much rather have reunions with my enemies
At least they know something about me and I would feel more comfortable
And it’s strange to me that the better my immediate family does, the deeper that we enter into the realm of the black sheep’s

Trying to constantly remind myself that a wolf shouldn't lose sleep
because of a family full of black...sheep’s
But it’s hard when you attempt to have a reunion with strangers
As year by year I ask myself what’s the point of reuniting,
 when we never united in the first place.

Thanksgiving feels more like a task rather than an obligation,
Eating food that no matter how well cooked will have a bitter and artificial taste
Which symbolizes the hands that have prepared it.
While faking a smile as a facade of being happy to see family,
yet hiding the fact that I don’t know any of these folk... so we eat alone

Meanwhile each year we get a new stab wound
Or could it be claw marks from crabs in a transparent barrel
Filled to the brim with the blood, sweat and tears...
of a mother who does her best impression of Atlas,
and constantly gets the small end of the straw...
 the same straw which has finally broken the camel’s back


So to my "family" I am using you as a muse to write this piece
because a conversation could not articulate how I feel about you
This is long overdue,
as the disdain has begun to course through my veins using an IV labeled "remorse"
And as I write, my pen begins to bleed these feelings
blemishing this sheet with enough emotion even Shakespeare can’t decipher its beauty
...so I guess you can call this a tragedy but even he would be perplexed at this irony that is a family
A family that claims to want to hang out...
but all they seem to do is tighten the noose around my neck,
that is intertwined with the fibers of family values.
 So it’s ironic that it will forever be loose
While trying to find a sliver of negativity in any bit of good news...
because all in all when someone is expressing to you their successes its only right to exude the same unhappiness you have upon them...right?

And as a kid, I was always told that those that are happy for you are waiting to see you fall
But when those that await your descent from the top,
are the ones that should be holding the blanket to provide that cushion
...you realize that you can’t be vulnerable around anyone
Staying awake because the moment you shift your focus...the serpent strikes
But It just hurts that the serpent striking....bares the same last name ....

as myself...

0 comments:

Post a Comment